Chemical material compatibility

SymSym
edited April 2016 in Technical questions
The device looks exactly like the type of thing we're looking for to test our inkjet inks. We are particularly excited to see the Arduino incorporated, which we use extensively in our labs. Could you let me know what materials are in contact with the fluid path, so that I can assess compatibility? Thanks, Sym

Comments

• Hi Sym,

Thank you for your message. I really appreciate you like the openQCM project. I agree, quartz crystal microbalance technology is really suited for your applications.

The materials in contact with the fluid are:
    - The electrode of the quartz crystal, Material: Gold
    - The standard cover chamber, Material: Polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA), also known as Plexiglas.
    Note: we can provide custom cover chamber material, such as Teflon which is chemically inert
    - O-ring seal Material: Silicon.

Finally, we also provide support for the development of custom solutions based on openQCM system.
  • edited May 2016
    Hi! First, I would like to know if temperature can be regulated in your QCM setup. Second, what is the chemical resistance of the materials used for the casing, the sensor holder and is in contact with the liquid sample. In other words What kind of solvents can be used (other than water)? Thank you in advance for your answer. Best regards.
  • Hi Terry, the openQCM has an embedded thermistor for monitoring the temperature of the device. In this way you can check when the device reaches the temperature stability, i.e. the temperature reaches the plateau, before starting your measurement. But by now openQCM does not have an active temperature control.
    For the last question, the 3D-printed material is Strong and Flexible Plastic, main characteristics:

It is dishwasher safe
    It is not watertight
    Plastics are heatproof to 80℃ / 176℉ degrees. Higher temperatures may significantly change material properties.

More info here http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-and-flexible-plastic

The window cell, the part which is in direct contact with the specific liquid used in your application, is made in PMMA Poly(methyl methacrylate), a.k.a Plexiglas. It is chemically inert , but pay attention do not use organic solvents, such as ethanol, they will damage the PMMA window cell.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me anytime,